Glenwood Power Plant
Between the Glenwood Metro North station and the Hudson River lies the abandoned Yonkers Power Station of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad, a massive building which was constructed between 1904 and 1906 to hold electrical generators to provide power for the electrfication of the railroad nearby.
The plant ran into the early 1950s but was gradually backed down as newer, larger power stations plants were built and finally Glenwood was shutdown for good after sitting idle for years. After a failed attempt to sell the structure and the property to the City of Yonkers, ConEd abandoned it completely, removing its steam turbines and machinery from the pit. The property is under private ownership and currently for sale.
Highlights of the visit were crawling to the smokestack, contemplate the enormity of the turbine hall, play with the control panels and inhale some sweet asbestos fibers.
More images here
Images by Charles le Brigand
All rights reserved. Une production de Brigand © 2011